Thursday, January 24, 2008

Thumbs up for diversity

Sitting in a room full of young and energetic journalists, I felt like a great new experience was about to begin. Since my selection as a Chips Quinn Scholar, I have been excited to meet my fellow “Chipsters.” Now that I've met them, I realize that we reflect what the United States has become in past years, a society fully diverse.

We are the ones who represent the future of journalism, and that future, to me, seems open minded and diverse.

This night is just the beginning of our careers, and our goal should be to create a strong bond among ourselves to be able to fully represent all the ethnicities.

Hearing everybody’s experience, goals and expectations made me realize that is why I want to be a journalist. We have the courage to stand up for what we want and never give up, despite the many hurdles we have to overcome.

No comments: