Thursday, January 24, 2008

Diversity fatigue?

I have the opposite of diversity fatigue.

At my paper in Greeley, we serve a host of people, from white residents to illegal immigrants and everyone in between. But in my newsroom, I am one of the only people of "color." It's worrisome to me that our Spanish-language paper, La Tribuna, employs the only Latino reporters at our company; they are somehow only niche reporters used to appeal to the Latino element of our population. Meanwhile, I am to write for everyone -- brown, black, white, whatever.

I've had attacks levied at me from readers when I report on any sort of diversity. Readers say that of course I have sympathy for "illegals" because I am myself Latino. I've had my objectivity questioned by readers without a shred of evidence. And every time this happens I am all the more imbued with a passion to prove them wrong; I will be an objective Latino in a mostly white newsroom.

And from now on, I will be reminded of the words John Quinn says we should use when people say they have diversity fatigue: "Bullshit."

No comments: