Sunday, January 27, 2008

Scientific progress goes "boink"?



The title of this blog comes from an old Calvin and Hobbes comic strip. Calvin is stressed and overwhelmed by his schoolwork and decided to clone himself so that he would have more time to play while his clone did all his work. He builds a cloning machine out of a cardboard box and when he presses the start button, the machine makes the sound “boink” and Calvin is perplexed about that. As it turns out, Calvin’s clone is more like him than he expected and realizes that he is doing all the work. His clone rebels and it all ends in a fight with the clone disappearing with a “poof.”

Last night something similar happened to me. No, I did not make a copy of myself and fight it to the death; I encountered some problems with technology. I got back to my room and started to import my audio onto my computer, but I couldn’t find my interview with CQS program co-founder John Quinn. I started to get a little irate and my blood pressure went a little bonkers. I then had a little fight with myself. Nothing disappeared with a little “poof,” although I wish I had vanished.

The important lesson to learn here is: There will always be some sort of problem you will encounter with the new technology and gadgets that we are using today. But I took the advice of Val Hoeppner, manager of multimedia education at the Freedom Forum Diversity Institute, and slowed down. I decided to give the audio slide show a rest last night and go out to dinner with some of the Chips Quinn Scholars. I think this was better than shutting myself up in my room in order to rush a project that I might not be proud to call my own.

No comments: