Sunday, January 27, 2008

"A precious protector"

Day three included a documentary film on the role the First Amendment had on the Civil Rights Movement.

As a perfect example of the First Amendment in action, it gave power to the powerless, hope to the hopeless and the basic freedoms that are supposed to not only come with being American, but with being human as well.

I have always felt directly connected to the movement because, if not for it, I would not be who, what and where I am today.

Freedom for an oppressed people is like air to the suffocating. It is the First Amendment that gave us a chance to breathe after a long suffocation of our basic human rights. It is the First Amendment that gave us a shot at being whole, at being humans with control over our fates.

It’s a precious protector, and I cannot imagine an existence without it.

So thanks a lot, United States Constitution.

No comments: