Sunday, January 27, 2008

Adversaries to allies

I've met people at orientation I hope I will know for the rest of my life. I've met a few colleagues I hope I will work with during my career. I've learned that through it all, I will have a support system to keep me grounded and be there to listen when I'm having a hard time.

My iPod ran out of juice on the plane ride here, but in many ways I'm glad for it. It has allowed me to interact with people, peers, as I've never been able to do before.

Last summer, when I was an intern in Hartford, we spent two weeks at Temple University with copy-editing deity Ed Trayes. I viewed the people in my class as adversaries. It was the wrong point of view, one that hindered how I grew there and my relationships with those people. I was determined that I wouldn't let it happen again.

It didn't happen again. We're all in this together, working toward the same goal no matter if we're trying to get the same positions or not. And that end — the education of the public — binds us and makes us the best network for us.

No comments: