I can't wait to return to work to begin to use all that I've learned in the last four days. It so happens that about two weeks ago, I was seriously considering whether I was in the right field. I even thought about talking to my editor to see whether I should continue pursuing journalism or move on to something else. My fears were rooted in insecurities with my skills and passion, and as a result, I lost confidence and became complacent.
But hearing about the career paths of many of the alums and speakers showed me that my situation is not unique. It was also comforting to hear many of my peers share the same fears, hopes and curiosities as I have. In some ways, I think the timing of this orientation and my acceptance into the Chips Quinn Scholars program was fate.
As I post my last blog and enjoy the last few hours with my new Chips Quinn family, I will leave Washington, D.C., with a new confidence, not only in myself, but in the journalism industry as well. Meeting and getting to know my Spring 2008 classmates has given me faith in the career path I have chosen. It was refreshing to hear their stories and their passion for journalism, which reminded me of why I wanted to become a journalist.
My sincere thanks go to John Quinn, everyone at the Freedom Forum and the Chips Quinn program, the speakers and coaches and to my fellow classmates. I will leave this place deeply humbled and honored.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment