Sunday, January 27, 2008

Journalism then and now

Used to being busy, I almost went insane after graduating last December, but this also means I had a lot of free time to think about the world I'm getting into and why I want to go in that direction.

My idea of journalism when I settled on this field does not fit the job description I'll be assuming. Back then, inspired by movies such as Oliver Stone's "Salvador," I thought I would travel the world with a notepad, telling the stories of those who can't. I can still do that today, but I will also be carrying more than 10 pounds of equipment: laptop, camera, lenses, video and voice recorders. And who says I'll be working for a newspaper? I could end up working for a TV network or Web site.

In a way I feel cheated. I bought the whole romantic story of journalism to later realize I won't get too far if I don't learn HTML and Final Cut Pro. But I know I still want to do this and my decision was affirmed once more this weekend. As long as there are people whose voices are unheard, I will be needed, no matter how I tell their stories.

So I can't wait to start my internship tomorrow because it will officially mean I'm moving to the next step in my career. It's a moment I've spent the last four years preparing for.

No comments: