After our long discussion today with Mary Ann Hogan, my career coach, I feel more comfortable about a lot of things I had been worrying about. Since I have spent the past two years focusing mainly on features stories, I am pretty nervous about writing daily hard-news stories on deadline at a medium-sized newspaper. But Mary Ann calmed a lot of my fears by hosting an open discussion. By receiving advice from others and being able to pose my questions in front of everyone, I left the session feeling ready to conquer any news stories that come my way.
Coming up with my own story ideas is also difficult for me, so the panel with Chips Quinn Alums dispensing their real-world experience and list of places they look for story ideas also gave me confidence that I can find story ideas of my own in Spokane.
Every session has taught me a lot, as corny as that sounds. The speakers are knowledgeable and willing to answer any questions we have. They also are available to us after we leave the conference. That in itself makes me feel more comfortable than anything. Mary Ann is there. Editors are there. Writers are there. I feel safe and confident to be part of the Chips Quinn family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment