Friday, January 25, 2008

Seeing Silicon Valley with fresh eyes

Though I live and work in the Silicon Valley, I had no idea how far ahead it was in the digital world until today. The presentation by Mark Briggs, interactive-media manager for The News Tribune in Tacoma, Wash., put in perspective the evolution of the Internet. Not only has it grown to connect people at the click of a button, but also the rate of growth is apparently exponential. So, if this is how far we've come in just the last eight years, I can't even imagine what is going to happen as we hit the year 2010. It may only be two years away, but as Adidas says, "Impossible is Nothing."

I drive by Intel Corporation and Yahoo! every day on my way to work, and two weeks ago I got a glimpse of the Google building on my way to In-N-Out Burger. But even being surrounded by all these Silicon Valley titans didn't open my eyes to what I saw today.

Covering Saratoga, one of the wealthiest communities in the United States (so I've been told), gave me an idea of how profitable computers, communications and new technology can be, but I didn't really have a context for understanding the scope or impact. Now I see what these people in my backyard are doing and it's absolutely incredible.

I don't yet know how I am going to do it, but the Saratoga News needs to change and it needs to do it before it falls even further behind the community it serves.

No comments: