Wow. I don't know if I can write about just one thing I learned at the orientation today. After a lovely discussion with John Seigenthaler at lunch, where we discussed Wikipedia, I learned through an actual Wikipedia entry's experience just how incorrect it can be. Seigenthaler, founder of the Freedom Forum's First Amendment Center in Nashville, has been accused of murder and rape. How ridiculous! Though I use Wikipedia only to learn quickly about a subject or for entertainment purposes and would never use it as a source, it was still enlightening to learn about its dangers, especially for a journalist.
As evidenced by my asking, "What are those?" when Mark Briggs asked how often we use RSS feeds, I knew nothing of them as I know nothing much about online lingo and tools. So his two-hour discussion of Web 2.0 and the importance of online media in our journalistic futures was extremely beneficial. Briggs is an interactive-media manager at The News Tribune in Tacoma, Wash.
Most of all, I learned how incredibly fun all of the Chipsters are. From our group Newseum broadcast to Newsmania, and even from the one-on-one conversations I've had with everyone, I have learned how awesome everyone's personality is and how much fun the group is when we're letting loose together.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment