Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Going to make it big time now

After this orientation weekend, I now feel I have the tools to be a Super Bowl-caliber journalist, while before I was just a playoff contender. I am going back to Jackson, Tenn., with a new sense of myself as a reporter and member of the newsroom. The Chips Quinn program was the boost for us all -- a steroid injection for success in journalism.

I am going to put the shy sports reporter in the closet and become more open and engaging with sources as well as with my co-workers. I'll try to be a professional eavesdropper like Jack Marsh, vice president/diversity with the Freedom Forum Diversity Institute.

The best thing about leaving this weekend is knowing that I am not in this alone. As difficult as it may seem to move to a new city where I know no one and learn a new culture, I have people in my corner with the Chips Quinn program. I will be in contact with a huge network of successful journalists as I continue to network.

No comments: